Thursday, October 3, 2013

DIY Boxwood Wreath




I love the look of a boxwood wreath! Whether it's more shaped and proper or rustic and messy looking, they always look chic. Since a preserved or fresh boxwood version can set you back anywhere from $60-$100, I decided to recreate a faux DIY wreath myself using supplies from Hobby Lobby and I only spent $37! Although it might not be the real deal, a fake wreath is more ideal for me since my front door isn't shaded but even more importantly, I won't have to buy another one next year. Here's what you'll need to get the look for less (some items I used were not online so I added a link to similar versions) and a breakdown of what you can expect to pay.


14'' Wreath $4.99/ Faux Boxwood stems $5.99 each/ Burlap Ribbon $4.99/ Floral Wire $2.99


WHAT TO DO
First, get your area ready by putting your wreath down on an old blanket or plastic bag for easy clean up (I used an old blanket at first but the wreath was too messy so I put a bag down underneath it instead) and line your faux boxwood stems up being careful not to get them tangled with each other
  
Next, start threading just the stems of your boxwood into the wreath on each of the four sides aiming for the middle (as much as possible) of the sides of the wreath. You can push the stems as far down as possible but be sure the bottoms aren't sticking out anywhere. If you have a few that are, just keep threading them through

Once each stem is threaded, your wreath should look something like this (above)

        
Next, just use the green floral wire to secure the various boxwood buds around the wreath while working them into the twigs and letting some hang out for that desired "rustic" look. I only really secured the major areas that were the heaviest and a few wispy strands but it all depends on what you want it to look like

This is what my wreath looked like after working the various boxwood strands into the twig form for about 15 minutes. I can't stress enough how EASY it is to make this on your own...all you need is patience!

   
 I couldn't make a decision about the burlap so here my wreath is with and without a bow!

  and finally, the finished product!

No comments:

Post a Comment